Driver Qualification Files contain specific records and documentation that demonstrates the employee is safe enough, healthy enough and qualified to operate a CMV. This includes owner-operators as they are considered employers AND employees. The documents required in a DQ file are:
- DOT Employment Application
- Medical Certification
- Commercial Driver’s License or Road Test Certification
- Safety Performance History Investigation
- Annual Motor Vehicle Reports (MVRs)
- Annual Review of Driving Record and List of Violations
FMCSA requires all confidential records to be maintained in a secure environment with limited access. Keep DQ files separate from Personnel files.
All Driver Qualification Files must be maintained for the duration of an individual’s employment and for three years after.